Bahrainis stage sit-in protest for release of Jaziri’s body
Huge crowds gathered in front of Salmaniya hospital in an attempt to claim the body of the 20-years-old Mahmood Isa Al Jaziri on Monday.
Jaziri sustained fatal head injuries after directly hit by a tear gas canister fired by regime forces on February 14 in Nabi Saleh, south of Manama, during anti-regime demonstrations on the second anniversary of Bahrain’s popular uprising.
Bahraini authorities have so far made no comment on Jaziri’s reported death, but main opposition bloc al-Wefaq said the protester died in the hospital early Friday after a week in a coma.
Bahraini regime has refused to hand over Jaziri’s body to his family ever since.
The victim is the third Bahraini protester killed in less than 10 days.
On February 14, Hussein al-Jaziri, 16, was killed in the village of Daih, while another protester, identified as Aminah al-Sayyed Mahdi, 35, died last Friday — a month after inhaling toxic tear gas fired by Bahraini troops at an anti-regime rally in Abu Saiba.
Since mid-February 2011, thousands of pro-democracy protesters have staged numerous demonstrations in the streets of Bahrain, calling for the Al Khalifa royal family to relinquish power.
On March 14, 2011, troops from Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates invaded the country to assist the Bahraini government in its crackdown on the peaceful protesters.
According to local sources, scores of people have been killed and hundreds arrested.
Physicians for Human Rights says doctors and nurses have been detained, tortured, or disappeared because they have “evidence of atrocities committed by the authorities, security forces, and riot police” in the crackdown on anti-government protesters.
About The Author
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.