EU criticizes Israel for WB demolitions
In a Friday statement, EU missions in Jerusalem and Ramallah expressed deep concern over the move by the Tel Aviv’s regime to destroy 22 structures across the West Bank on April 23 and 24, which displaced 28 people, including 18 children and affected 120 others including 57 children.
EU missions said that some of the demolished structures had been financed by EU member states.
“Since the year 2008 more than 2,400 Palestinian houses and structures have been demolished in Area C of West Bank and east Jerusalem, displacing more than 4,400 people,” the statement said.
It further read that, on May 14, 2012 the EU had called on Tel Aviv to meet its obligations concerning the living conditions of the Palestinians in Area C, including suspending forced transfers of people and demolition of Palestinian housing and infrastructure.
Places in Area C are under full control of Israeli security forces.
Meanwhile, French Foreign Ministry spokesman Philippe Lalliot denounced the move by the Israeli troops to demolish a Palestinian Bedouin camp in the north of the Jordan Valley as the violation of international human rights standards.
“France has made representations to the Israeli authorities to stop the destruction of homes, the displacement and the destruction… in Area C, which are contrary to international humanitarian law,” Lalliot said.
He added that he camp, which was “clearly identifiable, had been funded by France.
Also on Friday, the UN Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said that some 60 people, including 36 children, were displaced following the demolition of two farms and a Palestinian restaurant in Area C.
About The Author
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.